We are challenging you to design a package for your favourite snack to share or to protect eggs!
Submit by 24th July 2022
Packaging shapes our experience of many foods. It helps us store and keep food fresh at home. On supermarket shelves, packaging grabs our attention and communicate the contents.
You should consider:
- How to open and close the package
- Ways to make it easier to share
- Ways to make it easier to eat the contents
- Ways of storing leftovers
For eggs in particular think about:
- How you transport them home
- How they are stored
- How the empty spaces can still be useful after an egg is used
To get the Extra Challenge Prize make your package sustainable!
This doesn’t only mean using recyclable materials or reducing the amount of packaging.
It can also be about reducing food waste! There is a balance to maintain between protecting the food, so we don’t waste the resources used to grow it, and over-packaging which adds to the carbon footprint.
- For example, the thin plastic cover on cucumber will extend the cucumber’s life by 3 weeks. When comparing the plastic’s ecological cost to the resources used to grow another cucumber, the little plastic cover is actually more sustainable than not using one.
There are lots of historical ways of keeping things fresh that could be integrated into package designs.
- If you store apples with potatoes, it stops the potatoes sprouting, or if you keep carrots in sand, they stay crips longer.
Also, consider how the packaging can be used afterwards!
You can make or draw your designs. If you are making your design check out these videos on using a craft knife.
Note the following requirements:
- You must submit your work by 24th July 2022.
- Videos must be less than 30 seconds
- Submit using #FutureDesignersNZ. Post your videos or photos to Instagram, YouTube, or Twitter. Make sure your post is public so we can see it.
There are no rules of what materials or technology you can use. This is entirely up to your creative intent, and what resources you have access to.
Future Designer Champion
$400 Prize for the best submission
We will publish your name and work on the Future Designer’s website. You will also receive a deluxe School of Design Innovation care package.
Future Designer Runner-up
$250 Prize for the runner up
Your name and work will feature on the Future Designer’s website. You will receive a School of Design Innovation care package
Extra Challenge Winner
$200 Prize for best design addressing the Extra Challenge
Your entry will also be a part of our end of year exhibition, you will receive a School of Design Innovation care package
Terms and Conditions
Read the full terms and conditions.