Study Area(s): Design
Scholarship Level: School leaver / 1st year
Closing Date(s): 1 November
Tenure: One year
These scholarships of $1,000 are being offered to encourage students interested in creativity to explore tertiary-level Design. These scholarships are being funded by the Wellington School of Design Innovation, and will be paid in two instalments to successful recipients as a stipend for use on course-related costs and living expenses while studying at Victoria University of Wellington.
These scholarships are for anyone who has met the university entrance requirements and wants to study a Bachelor of Design Innovation at Victoria University of Wellington.
Scholarships will be offered for each of our design disciplines:
- Fashion Design
- Communication Design
- Design for Social Innovation
- Industrial Design
- Interaction Design
- Media Design
- Animation and Visual Effects
Applicants will apply for these scholarships by emailing the required documents to email@example.com. Applicants can apply for a scholarship in multiple disciplines, but will only be awarded one scholarship. Applicants must clearly state in the subject line of their email their first and last name, and the design discipline they wish to apply for.
We are looking for students excited about design and creative innovation. To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must have achieved their NCEA Level 2 Certificate endorsed with Merit, and must achieve University Entrance by the Victoria University of Wellington enrolment deadline of 18 February, 2021.
You do not need to have any formal background in Design. We are interested in students who can demonstrate their passion for creativity, their aptitude for Design, or their conscientiousness and engagement with the community. Applicants must have a portfolio of their design work to submit with their application.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens, Permanent Residents or Resient visa holders.
- Applicants must have achieved their NCEA Level 2 Certificate endorsed with Merit.
- Applicants must submit a letter of reference than can speak to their involvement in their community or their passion for design
- Applicants must intend to enroll in their first year of a Bachelor of Design Innovation with the Wellington School of Design Innovation in the year following this application (Trimester 1, 2021).
- Applicants must submit a portfolio (in PDF or weblink) or a personal statement (2 pages maximum) along with all other required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
- Successful applicants must achieve University Entrance by the VUW enrolment deadline of 18 February, 2021.
A completed application must be emailed to email@example.com by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
To apply, you must email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A portfolio of your design work (in PDF or weblink) or a personal statement (2 pages maximum) describing your passion for design and creativity, your extra-curricular/school activities and your impact on your school and/or the wider community.
- A letter of reference than can speak to your involvement in your community or your passion for design
- A copy of your NCEA Level 2 Certificate results endorsed with Merit.
- Applicants must clearly state in the subject line of their email their first and last name, and the design discipline they wish to apply for.
Applications will be reviewed by the Head of Wellington Design Innovation and another academic staff member from the Wellington School of Design Innovation.
This scholarship will be paid in two instalments, with the first instalment being paid upon confirmation of enrolment for Trimester 1, 2021 and the second instalment paid after enrolment in Trimester 2, 2021 conditional upon the successful recipient(s) achieving a GPA of 5.0 (a grade of B) during Trimester 1, 2021.
At the end of your first year at Victoria University of Wellington, successful recipients should write a 200 word description of their experience and share with the School of Design Innovation images of their favourite design project from the year.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.